Anyone with a SU NetID password is required to change their password at least once a year.
Information Technology and Services (ITS)—in collaboration with University leadership, key campus constituent relationship managers, and the IT directors of the schools, colleges and departments—developed and will implement new measures to notify all SU NetID password holders when their passwords will expire, and, after several advance notifications, to disable accounts with expired passwords.
New password management measures include:
- You can change your SU NetID password at any time before it expires. Your new password expiration date is set one year out from the date you change your password.
- 30 days before your password expires, ITS will send to your official SU email address a warning notification that your SU NetID password will expire on a specific date. The first daily notifications will be sent on November 3, 2014. It may be several months before you receive a notification, depending on when you last changed your password.
- Warning notifications will not contain working hyperlinks to any web sites. This will help you identify them as legitimate University communications. They will not be sent with a working hyperlink to the ITS Service Center email address, but some email applications that receive the email will automatically convert the address to a hot link.
- If you don’t change your password, you will receive additional warning notifications in advance of your password expiration date. Warning notifications will stop once you change your password.
- Accounts with unchanged passwords will be disabled on their expiration date. Password expiration and account disabling will occur every day, including weekends and holidays.
- If your account is disabled you will not be able to log into your SU desktop, MySlice, Blackboard, SU email (including SUMail), AirOrangeX, or any other University systems. Your mobile devices will no longer be able to connect to the University’s networks or resources.
- If your account is disabled, you will need to visit or call the ITS Service Center during regular business hours to have it re-enabled.
If you change your password more often than once a year, you will not receive any warning notifications.
A reminder to change your password, and a link to the password change page, has been posted on MySlice. If you need assistance changing your password, contact the ITS Service Center at email@example.com or (315) 443-2677.
For more information about the SU NetID password change requirement, log into Answers.syr.edu and search for “password change.” Or, contact Cindy Hoalcraft, ITS’s Manager of Identity Management, at (315) 443-9371 or firstname.lastname@example.org.