As noted on the ITS Answers Page, the campus VPN (also known as the SURA utility for Windows users) used to access campus resources will be decommissioned by ITS on January 15th, 2022. To provide a more secure connection to campus, ITS has implemented the Syracuse University Remote Desktop Service (RDS). When logged in to RDS you will have access to your normal desktop and files (G, H, printers, etc.). Additionally, if you need to access your office computer or research virtual machine, you can do so from within the RDS desktop service by using the Windows Remote Desktop Connection client with these three easy steps:
1. From the RDS desktop click under Start > Windows accessories and choose Remote Desktop Connection
2. Type in your computer name (for example max-YourNetID or ReserachComputerName.ad.syr.edu)
3. Log in with your username and password.
- Why is the VPN being decommissioned?
- Macintosh Remote Desktop Tips and Tricks
- Windows Remote Desktop Tips and Tricks
Option for SURA to be available until January 15, 2022
You can also access campus computers remotely by using an on-domain laptop. Email service for more information.
SURA is a simple utility for establishing a secure connection to Syracuse University computing resources. Using SURA will allow you to:
- Access University network drives (H and G drives) *
- Easily establish a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection from nearly anywhere on the internet to Syracuse University’s computing network
- Find and connect to network printers *
- Access your e-mail through a web-based interface
- Connect to your dedicated Windows office PC through a Remote Desktop connection (not available for Apple office computers) *
Full documentation on SURA is available here.
The SURA utility can be downloaded here (SU NetID login required).
Who can use it?
Anyone with an active Syracuse University NetID account and a Windows computer may use SURA. Please note that SURA is only available for Windows computers.
Why should I use it?
It gives you secure access to the data you need when and where you need it.
* Your access to certain SURA functions may vary based on to your role at Syracuse University and your individual access privileges granted to you by your home department.